Thursday, April 17, 2014

Love List: Yummy things, Easter, Divergent and more

1. Trader Joes' White Cheddar Corn Puffs
We are... kind of obsessed with these. We went to TJ's in the Woodlands and bought two bags, and Em and I have finished off a whole one already. She'll actually cry 'til I give her more. Addicting!
2. Easter basket
I'm so excited to be able to put together a baby Easter Basket this year! Last year she was too little. We don't really give her sugar or many snacks, even, so it was kinda hard trying to figure out what to put in her Easter Basket - I always associate Easter Baskets with candy!

Mostly, just wandering around Target helped (when does it NOT? #targetdoesitagain). So she's getting a stuffed bunny, a sippy cup that looks like the most adorable fox ever, some bunny-shaped bubbles (Yay for bubbles!), and a duck-duck koosh ball (do they still call them that?) We will do an egg hunt with these fun colored, cheapy plastic eggs filled with Annie's bunny grahams. Em already thinks the eggs are "Ba"s and she is fascinated  by the concept of taking them apart and trying to put them back together. Can't wait to see her go find them in the yard!

3. This funny face
She keeps doing this and I have no idea why, but it's hilarious and cracks me up. Now she does it just to get laughs. What the heck is she doing? Funny baby!



4. Divergent movie date night!
We took advantage of staying with Mimi and PaPaw to sneak out for a late movie after Punkito went to sleep. What a nice treat! Hans hasn't read the book, and I think he went in with very low expectations. I also think he was surprised that he really liked it and will now be reading the book.

I have some conflicting feelings on it. On the most basic level, I really enjoyed the movie. It's always great to see how a plot comes off the pages and translates into action, music, voice. The film was very suspenseful and I liked how they rendered Chicago and the Dauntless Pit. The acting wasn't too bad and that dude that plays Four is *so* pretty. I'm not sure how I feel about Shailene Woodley as Tris. I still will always see her as that chick from Secret Life. I think she did a fine job, she's just not what I pictured Tris looking like. She's supposed to be small, easy to underestimate, a "little girl!" I just didn't get that vibe from her.
My bigger complaint was how far the movie deviated from the book. There was some weird twisting of events and missing characters (Edward and his eye, anyone?). But that ending scene in the control room... were they just trying to get the most bang for their buck with Kate Winslet? Give her some more screen time? Weird. I couldn't get over that. I guess I can see an argument that the film adaptation's version was more dramatic and grandiose - the book's scene was very ordinary and almost uneventful. But isn't that what Dauntless is - acts of ordinary bravery?

On to reading Insurgent now. It feels a lot more tightly written than Divergent, so we shall see. What were your thoughts?

5. Oh, Just a Little Bit of Everything
The kid brother has a blog! I'm excited that he's getting into photography. It's still new for him, but the kid really has a good eye. And his writing style is (like him) crazy and funny and crazyfunny. Check him out: http://ohjustalittlebitofeverything.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment