Sunday, April 3, 2016

General Conference Spring 2016

In the weeks leading up to this weekend's General Conference, I kept thinking about President Uchtdorf's talk from last fall's conference, It Works Wonderfully. Specifically this part:

"One sister, a Relief Society instructor, was known for preparing flawless lessons. One time she decided to create a beautiful quilt that would serve as the perfect backdrop to the theme of her lesson. But life intervened—there were children to pick up from school, a neighbor who needed help moving, a husband who had a fever, and a friend who felt lonely. The day of the lesson approached, and the quilt was not completed. Finally, the night before her lesson, she did not sleep much as she worked all night on the quilt. The next day she was exhausted and barely able to organize her thoughts, but she bravely stood and delivered her lesson. And the quilt was stunning—the stitches were perfect, the colors vibrant, and the design intricate. And at the center of it all was a single word that triumphantly echoed the theme of her lesson: “Simplify.”"
Life lately has been a little overwhelming. Full, happy, wonderful. But tiring and challenging and, well, overwhelming. I'm learning to balance two kids and meet all the needs of each one while not totally losing myself or anything else. I've still got a ways to go, but I'm learning.

That being said, I realized I was feeling unnecessary stress and anxiety about the approach of conference. I LOVE conference and look forward to it every six months, so it surprised me to find myself feeling that way. And it was because of the printables. I love doing them - it helps me, in my own way, to "ponderize" something from each talk. It allows me to be creative and use my talents to share the Gospel with others. But they take forever to make and stress me out.

So I'm taking Pres. Uchtdorf's advice and simplifying. I won't be doing printables for this session, but I hope to be above water enough to do them again in the fall. Thanks for stopping by, and for supporting me!

1 comment:

  1. Well said and well done! I would have loved your 2016 printables, but I love even more that you are keeping this counsel to simplify!

    ReplyDelete